The Garrett County Historical Society and Museum is dedicated to preserving the history of Garrett County, its customs and traditions.
The Society was established in 1941 and has been the center for historical preservation and education since its formation. As we continue to expand and improve our programs and museum we need your help and support.
Please consider becoming a member of the Historical Society. We are always happy to have you volunteer your ideas, time, and enthusiasm to the Society.
Member Benefits Include:
- Access to purchase tickets for museum activities before they are released to the public
- Members receive a free subscription to the Society’s quarterly publication entitled The Glades Star. This publication features articles on local history and interesting stories from the area.
- Members receive early access to new publications by the Society
- Access to the Historical Society Genealogy Library containing
- Histories of Garrett County and photo albums containing pictures of the area
- Family genealogies consisting of books and over 500 family files
- Copies of Garrett County records including but not limited to: birth records, death records, Glades Star past volumes, census records, early newspapers, and local author publications
- County cemetery records from the early 19th century to current
- County birth records from the early 20th century to 1966
Become a Member
There are currently two categories of membership in the Society:
Annual Membership …………… $25.00 per year
Lifetime Membership………….. $300.00
Paper form and check
Please print out our membership form and mail a copy along with payment to the Society at 107 South Second Street, Oakland, MD 21550.
Pay your dues via Paypal. The system will collect your name, address and email.